DS-64 Lost or Stolen Passport Replacement Application Form

When would you need the DS-64 Application for Lost or Stolen Passport?  This application is used when you have to report your U.S. passport lost or stolen to the US Department of State. This is critical today because identity theft is at an all-time high and the consequences of the wrong person using your lost or stolen passport are potentially life to change. Once you have lost your passport you should report it using this application form and apply for a new passport using the DS-11 Application.

Once you submit your DS-64 application, your current passport is invalidated and reported worldwide. Therefore, if you find your current passport that you have previously reported as being lost or stolen it will be invalid and can no longer be used for travel purposes.

Download the interactive PDF DS64 which can be filled out on your computer here.


Expedite my Passport Now!


Form DS-64-Top Section:

Personal Information. Be sure to check the correct box indicating if your passport or passport card is lost or stolen. The top section contains personal information. All of it must be completed. If you do not have an email indicate “none” in that box. Your home and work number can be the same.

Form DS-64-lost or stolen passport-top

FORM DS-64-Middle Section:

The middle section deals with the circumstances of the lost or stolen passport. This enables the State Department to alert appropriate people which will reduce the risk of identity theft quickly. Put down as many details as you can in this section. You will note that it calls for the passport number. It is a good practice to keep this information safely in a spot that is separate from where your passport is kept such as a computer file. Often people misplace their passport because they use it infrequently. This will enable the quicker recovery.

Form DS-64-lost or stolen passport-middle

 FORM DS-64 Bottom Section:

The bottom signatory section allows for two signatures. This is provided for parents of a minor who is replacing a passport. In this case, BOTH parents must sign.

Form DS-64-lost or stolen passport-bottom

Requirements for Lost or Stolen Passport

  • Filled out form DS-64
  • Signature of the owner of the passport
  • Signature of both parents if passport is for minor under the age of 16
  • If you submit the form without submitting a request for a new passport, you must provide a copy of a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license or state issued ID card.

Mail this to:





P.O. BOX 1227


Common Questions and Answers for  DS-64 for Lost or Stolen Passport

How long does it take to process application DS64?

Instead of filling out this application you can also call the State Department and report the stolen passport. If you wish to file the regular DS-64 form processing time for application form DS-64 takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

Question: I had a passport issued in August or Sept 2001. It was later lost in a hurricane flooding in 2005. I never needed to use one since then, but want to renew. The rules say if it’s been 15 years, I don’t apply for a lost one, but for a NEW one. DO I still need to use form DS-64 in my application for a new one?

Answer: Yes! It is recommended that you report the passport as lost or stolen using the DS-64 Application.  You would need to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 application form.

Question: I need a DS-64 to fill out to accompany my new application for Passport. My old passport issued back in 1982 can’ be found.

Answer: Because your passport was expired in 1992 you would not need to report the passport as lost or stolen using the DS-64 and apply using only the DS-11 application.

Question: Hi, I submitted a DS-64 application online for my lost passport but then found it. I submitted it today, can I cancel it before it’s processed? I am going to call and go to the passport agency tomorrow but want confirmation to know my passport will be valid while I travel.

Answer: Once you submit your passport using the DS-64 form you will no longer be able to use this application and would need to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 form. It is not possible to stop the processing of the ds-64 as it is pushed to world database of lost and stolen passport.

Question:  I misplaced my passport and will be requesting a new one, but I have also changed my last name since misplacing the passport. Can the replacement have my new name on it? I gather I will need the DS-11 and DS-64 form. Is there another form I need to change my name if I have already legally changed it with Social Security?