If I already have a work visa and I am working in the US, if I decide to go to school. Could I switch from work visa to student visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersIf you are currently in possession of a B-1 or B-2 visa with non-immigrant status, and wish to enroll in classes, you can accomplish that by applying for F-1 or M-1 status if specific criteria and guidelines are met. These conditions are listed below.

An applicant can apply for an F-1 or M-1 visa if:

  • They have not enrolled in classes yet.
  • The status that they are in currently has not expired.
  • The applicant has not partaken in unauthorized employment.

In order for an applicant to change their status from a B-1/B-2 visa to a M-1 or F-1 visa, they will have to submit an application to extend/change non-immigrant status by the use of form I-539. They will need to include the fees that are associated in addition to the documents needed as per the filing instructions.

If an applicant were to enroll in their classes before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approves their Form I-539, then they will not be able to change their non-immigrant status of B to F or M.

If an applicant wishes to extend the length of their B1/B2 stay and they already enrolled in classes, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will not extend their B1/B2 visa due to status violation.