Name Changes Due to Marriage

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion After I get married in a few months, my husband and I will add each other’s last name to our current names. My current name is Elizabeth Sunshine Walker and when I get married it will be Elizabeth Sunshine Walker David. Will this create any issues when we apply for a passport to change our names?

Answer: Name changes due to marriage are a common issue. In order to change your names on your passports without any issues, you will have to provide a certified copy or an authentic marriage certificate that can provide evidence of the use of the two names lacking a hyphen. It is recommended that you provide a letter along with your applications that can verify the usage of the non-hyphenated two last names.

Regular passport processing takes about 4-6 weeks. Expedited passport processing takes about 2-3 weeks. These are rough estimates and passports can arrive a little before or after the estimated time frame. Also, you can receive your passport in less time if you hire a professional expediting service to submit your applications and document for you or if you appear in person at a regional passport agency. You can schedule an appointment at the regional passport agency that services your state. Passport agencies will attend to the needs of American citizens that need a passport in two weeks.

The following link will help you find your regional passport agency: