Can I board a plane if my passport book is in my maiden name and ticket is in my married name?

Generally, the name on a passport and an airline ticket must match. If possible, when purchasing your ticket, use your married name to minimize the risks. In many situations, it will take some time for you to change your identification documents to your new name. For example, your driver’s license, passport, and even your Social Security card will take a few weeks to update. If you are traveling right after your marriage, you likely will not have these documents transfers to your new name just yet. In this case, they should match your airline tickets.

If your name is already changed on your other identification, there may be some options available to you. You may be able to bring your marriage license, photo identification, and other information, such as your credit card with which you made the purchase, with you to the airline. The airline may be able to make the change for you with this type of information. However, this is not always the case. There may also be a fee. Keep in mind that to board a plane, you’ll have to have a photo identification with your name and it will need to match that of your ticket in nearly all cases.