Enhanced Drivers License
The Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) is a driver’s license issued to U.S. citizens in their state. The EDL is a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document for travel by land and sea only. In other words, it functions as a passport and is used to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. It cannot be used for international flight travel.
What does an EDL look like?
An EDL will have some similarities to your current driver’s license, like your name, address, and date of birth. However, there are added security features to the document. When you compare the documents, the standard driver’s license is printed on the top right, ‘NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES.’ The Real ID will have a star at the same place. However, the EDL has a banner showing ‘ENHANCE’ and the U.S. flag at the bottom right corner.
Where to get an EDL?
Currently, there are a handful of states that issue an EDL. These states include Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington. Only if you are a resident of one of these states can you apply for an EDL in the state you live. Go to any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and apply for an EDL.
What do you need to get an EDL?
You can change your driver’s license to an EDL by providing the required documents. The documents must be submitted in person at a DMV. The papers should include:
- Your current driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Proof of Social Security Status (only one)
- Social Security Card
- NY State Income Tax W-2
- Proof of Residency (only two)
- Driver’s License, permit, non-driver ID
- Bank Statement
- Utility Bill
- High School ID and report card
- Pay Stub
- Proof of Identity (only one)
- U.S. Passport or Passport Card
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Permanent Resident Card
- Valid U.S. Employment Authorization Card
Make sure the documents you are using all have the same name.
How Do You Renew an Expired Enhanced Driver’s License?
Before you can renew your expired driver’s license, you will need to local which state your drivers license is issued in below we have list all the state for better nigivating.
Renew in Person
You can renew your document in person at a DMV or online. If you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you must renew it in person. You cannot apply for a CDL online. Also, it must be done in person if you want to upgrade your photo.
To renew online, you must complete these three steps:
- Pass an eye test by an approved provider
- Complete the application online
- Download and print the temporary license until the new one arrives, usually in ten days
You will keep the current photo on file. If you prefer to change the picture, you must apply in person.
Renew by Mail
To apply by mail:
- Complete the Vision Test Report (MV-619) mailed to you by the DMV
- Make a check or money order payable to ‘”Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
- Send the documents to the DMV nearest you
How much will an EDL cost?
The cost for an EDL varies by state. The price per state is as follows:
- Michigan – $45
- Minnesota – $15 plus driver’s license or non-drive ID fee
- New York – $30 plus driver’s license or non-driver ID fee
- Vermont – $25 plus driver’s license or non-driver ID fee
- Washington – $105
How long does it take to get an EDL?
After you apply and DMV receives your application, it will take two weeks before you receive your document in the mail. However, you can print a temporary PFD ID if you apply online and use it until you receive the actual ID.
Get an Expedited Passport in As Little as 24 Hours
Looking to travel in 30 days? And need to replace your passport, renew passport or get a new passport. U.S. Passport Help Guide provides all passport expediting services with passport services starting as low $199.00Get an Expedited Passport Today!