Category: Expeditors

Easy as ABC, 123: Everything You Need to Know About a Passport Name Change

Did you know that over 21.3 million passports were issued last year?

If you’ve got a passport but you need to have it updated to reflect your new name, the process can be confusing!

Whether you’re recently married, recently divorced, adopting, or planning to legally change your name, you’ll need to know the ins and outs of passport name changes.

We’re here to help make it easy as ABC! It doesn’t have to be confusing.

Read on for everything you need to know about a passport name change.

First, You Need to Know…

Even though the process for applying for a passport in your new name is different depending on a few factors, everyone should know the following things!

What Do I Need to Submit for a Name Change?

Besides sending in your old passport (to be voided), you’ll need to send in a new passport photo, payment, and legal documentation that proves your name was changed.

What Counts as Legal Documentation to Prove a Name Change?

The U.S. Passport Guide lists the following as acceptable documents:

  • Original or certified copy of a marriage license
  • Original or certified copy of a divorce decree
  • Original or certified copy of an adoption certificate, or
  • Original or certified copy of a court order

Photocopies or notarized copies of the above documents, a driver’s license, or social security cards are not acceptable documentation.

Don’t worry if you don’t have one of these documents! There’s still a way to apply for a passport name change. Read on for more.

How Long Does the Process Take?

It will take between 4-6 weeks to process unless you use an expedited service.

And that doesn’t include the time it takes for your materials to be mailed in and back to you.

If you’re planning on traveling sooner than 4-6 weeks or your plans require foreign visas, we recommend working with a passport agency

How Much Is the Passport Name Change Fee?

Applicants who are ages 16 or older whose passports were issued less than a year ago will not have to pay a fee to change the name on their passport.

For adults whose passport is older than 1 year, the fee to have a name change is $110 with the option to expedite for an additional $60.

For children age 15 and younger, the fee to have a name change is $80 with the option to expedite for an additional $60

You can find a more in-depth break down of the fee structure here.

What Can I Use to Pay the Fee?

You’ll need to use a check or money order to pay the fees listed above. The payment needs to be sent in by mail with the other documents unless you apply in person.

How Do I Make Sure the Documents I Mail Are Secure?

If you’re mailing any documents always use a reinforced envelope like a Tyvek envelope that will protect the package from regular wear and tear.

We also recommend purchasing insurance and tracking on the package at the post office. That will allow you to monitor its progress and have enough to replace the lost items.

Applying For a Passport Name Change

There are 3 different processes that are for 3 different types of people. To determine which process is appropriate for you, answer the questions below.

  • Is my current passport less than 1-year-old and do I have documentation that proves my legal name change? Yes? Then read #1.
  • Is my current passport older than 1 year and do I have the documentation that proves my legal name change? Yes? Then read #2.
  • If you don’t have the documentation to prove a legal name change then read #3.

#1 Your Current Passport is Less Than 1 Year Old

The first application is for people who have issued their original passport less than one year ago and they have legal documentation to show their name change. If you fit in this category, you’ll fill out form DS-5504.

Once your form has been completed, you’ll need to mail the form, your current passport, an updated passport photo, payment, and the documentation of your legal name change.

#2 Your Current Passport is between 2-15 Years Old

If your current passport is older than one year and you have the legal documentation to show your name change then you’ll fill out form DS-82.

Once your form has been completed, you’ll need to mail the form, your current passport, an updated passport photo, payment, and the documentation of your legal name change.

#3 You Do Not Have Documentation to Prove a Legal Name Change

If you don’t have the legal documentation for your name change then you’ll need to fill out form DS-11.

Once your form has been completed, you’ll need to appear in person to a local passport office with your current passport, an updated passport photo, payment, and 3 public records with date and place of birth proving exclusive use of your new name for at least 5 years.

One More Thing!

All your documents, your old passport, and your new passport will be mailed back to you within 4-6 weeks.

The above forms are all to be printed off and mailed in with your old passport and name-change documentation, but if you don’t have access to a printer or prefer paperless filing, you can fill out the electronic form here. You’ll need to agree to a disclaimer about fraud and abuse acts.

Now go on an enjoy your travels! Now that you completed your passport name change, you can enjoy all the world has to offer!

Read Next: How to Get an International Driver’s License

Everything You Need To Know About Expedited Passport Applications Process?

Whether you plan to visit family or enjoy a vacation abroad. Making sure that you have a valid passport should be the first step when making your travel plans. Since standard processing times for passport applications often takes more than six weeks for final approval. Applying for these forms as quickly as possible is even more critical when the trip’s purpose is urgent.

Can a Passport Application be Expedited?

Yes, a standard passport application can be expedited.  Expedited passport applications are typically processed within 10 to 13 weeks for routine and 7 to 9 weeks for expedited services as of July 7th, 2023. Depending on the situation’s urgency and your trip’s purpose, you may even qualify for a 24-hour express service. This service is available for travelers who need their passports immediately due to an emergency such as a funeral or medical procedure abroad.

Related Read: Passport Expedited Companies

What Options are available for passport applicants who need their documents quickly?

Expedited processing of passport applications is available for those needing their documents very soon. Sooner than the normal time frame of four to six weeks. When choosing this option, applicants must:

  • Please provide evidence of their travel plans to show the need for practicality.
  • Include a $60 fee with the cost of the application.
  • Choose an express delivery method that offers traceability and includes the amount of the overnight delivery fee.

Where can expedited passport applications be submitted?

Although traditional passport applications can be handled at most post offices, expedited passport applications will need to be submitted through a regional passport agency or by opting to work with a reputable expedited passport courier service. Since regional passport processing centers are in major cities, such as Boston, Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles, many people find that using a passport courier service is more convenient.


National Passport Service is a highly reputable courier service with an extensive record of helping American citizens expedite the process of obtaining passports. An A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and thousands of happy customers ensure that Fastport Passport is your best option for this process.  With their track record of success, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your passport application is in the best hands.


Additionally, Fastport Passport offers a variety of services to make sure your passport application is handled quickly and securely. From assisting customers with filling out forms to providing photo-editing services, they take care of everything so you don

How to Expedite a Passport for Urgent Travel?

Have you headed abroad at the last minute and need your passport quickly? Getting your passport expedited to meet an upcoming deadline can seem overwhelming, but with some proactive planning, it doesn’t have to be. Understanding what is involved in getting a passport issued quickly will help make the process more manageable and provide peace of mind when making those travel arrangements. In this blog post, we’ll explain how to expedite a new or renewed passport for urgent international travel.

What is the Requirement for an Expedited Passport?

You can apply for an expedited passport. This process is required if you plan to travel internationally within two weeks or less. Generally speaking, it takes about four to six weeks to get a new passport. However, the State Department provides an expedited service that will issue your passport much faster than that, usually within three weeks.

When applying for an expedited passport, you must provide proof of international travel within two weeks or less. The State Department requires you to submit a copy of your itinerary or tickets showing your trip details.

Where are the Regional Passport Agencies Located Near Me?

There are over thirty Regional Passport Agencies throughout the United States.  The Regional Passport Agencies process passport applications for those who need to travel in less than three weeks. To locate a Regional Passport Agency in your area, use the State Department’s website or call their toll-free number (1-877-487-2778).

When applying for an expedited passport, you must make an appointment at the Regional Passport Agency. You can make an appointment online or over the phone. Be sure to bring all required documents and forms with you when you go to your appointment, including a valid photo ID, proof of international travel within two weeks or less, and payment for the passport fees.

Additionally, some companies specialize in expediting passports for those who do not have time to visit a passport agency.

Expediting a Passport with A Private Passport Expeditor?

Expedited passports can also be obtained through private companies, such as A Passport Expeditor. These companies offer their services to individuals who need a passport quickly and are willing to pay a fee for the expedited process. Generally, you will complete an application with the company and send them your required documents and forms.

The company then sends your passport application to the appropriate government processing agency and submits it with priority status. Your passport is then processed as quickly as possible, usually within a few days. Most private expeditors offer same-day or overnight shipping of your passport for an additional fee.

Keep in mind that there are several factors to consider when selecting a private passport expeditor, such as whether the U.S. government authorizes them, their customer service ratings, and the speed of delivery they offer. It is important to do your research before selecting a passport expeditor to ensure that you are getting the best service possible for your needs.

Finally, remember that while private passport expeditors can help speed up the process, they come with an additional cost. Therefore, it is important to consider the cost of using a private expeditor versus the time saved to determine if it is right for you.

Our website offers information about all of the available passport services and can help guide you in making your choice. By researching each option carefully, you can find the best solution for your passport needs.


To sum up, having an expedited passport can greatly help a traveler save time when plans change unexpectedly. Additionally, those needing a passport quickly should take the necessary steps promptly and systematically to calculate the amount of time it will take to receive a passport. Furthermore, while certain methods will certainly be faster than others, understanding these intricate processes can make the process much easier.

Ultimately, every person’s situation is different, and having the proper documents as well as utilizing all available resources is key for those looking to obtain a passport with urgency.

How to Quickly Secure a Passport for Your Newborn Baby – A Step-by-Step Guide

Traveling abroad with a newborn baby already has its share of stress, so make sure you take care of getting a passport for your little one well before your scheduled trip.

First of all, you should be aware that passports for minors are a bit more complex than applying for an adult passport because the State Department requires proper documentation with evidence proving the parents are indeed the child’s parents or guardians.

A number of local post offices and retail postal stores have passport acceptance agents who can witness the signature of the passport form; some acceptance agents require no appointment. However, an appointment is necessary at all official passport agencies.

How to Apply for a Newborn Passport?

To complete the process, you will need:

  • The child’s birth certificate
  • A DS-11 passport application
  • A photo of the newborn
  • The parents’ IDs
  • If applicable, court documents proving the parent and child relationship
  • The required fee

Complete the Process Using These Four Steps:

Step 1 – Passport Application Form

You will need to obtain a copy of the application form DS-11 for a new passport. You will need to fill out the application form but do not sign the DS-11 application until asked to do so by an acceptance agent. 

Step 2 – Proof of Citizenship

Proof of citizenship. Provide a copy of the newborn’s birth certificate, including both parents’ names for the baby’s proof of citizenship. If the applicant is a natural parent, this will also prove this relationship.

However, if the child is adopted or the applicant is the legal guardian, a copy of adoption papers or court documents should be brought along as well to demonstrate your legal right to have the child. A copy of the front and back of each parent’s ID (driver’s license or passport) is necessary.

Step 3 – The Baby Passport Photo

Bring along a 2″ x 2″ printed color picture of the baby. The photo should have a white background, so either lay the baby on a white sheet and photograph from above or put them in their car seat with a white sheet behind them.

Only the child may be in the photo (no adults holding them); the photo should be a close-up of their face — no shadows, eyes open, and looking into the camera.

Step 4 – Submitting the Application

Go to the passport agency of your choice with the photo and documents. Both legal parents should be present; if one cannot be there, they must provide a notarized statement of the consent form (Form DS-3053).

The actual ID from each parent should be brought along as well as the copies that were created in Step #2.

Sign and pay. Sign the DS-11 form only when directed by the acceptance agent. Pay all applicable fees, including the expedited service fee if faster service is used.

If, for some reason, you cannot get your passport expedited with the passport agency U.S. Passport Help Guide recommends National Passport Service get your passport expedited for your newborn in as little as 24 hours.


Getting a passport for a newborn may seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. By following the steps outlined in this blog post and being thorough with paperwork and communication with government officials, you can guarantee that you have everything you need to obtain a passport for your little one.

How Far in Advance Should I Renew My Passport?

Are you planning an upcoming international vacation? Have you started to think about renewing your passport but aren’t sure when the right time is? Renewing a passport can be a daunting task, especially if your trip is quickly approaching. To help set your travel plans in motion with peace of mind and confidence, it’s essential to know exactly when you should plan on submitting your renewal application.

When Should You Renew Your Passport?

It is recommended to renew your passport approximately 9 months before its expiration. This timeframe allows ample time for processing your new travel document before your next international trip.

Before traveling to another country, it is vital to check the expiration date of your passport well in advance. Most nations require foreign visitors to have a minimum of 6 months left on their passport before they can apply for an online visa or gain entry.

Read More: How Long Is a Passport Valid For?

Renew a U.S. Passport Before Its Expiration

It is unwise to apply for a visa if your passport is nearing expiration. To ensure a seamless visa process, verifying your passport’s validity and renewing it well in advance if it’s expiring soon is important.  You should plan to submit an application for a passport renewal no later than eight weeks before your departure date.

Additionally, you will need to factor in mail delivery time when mailing the required documents and fees for processing. It’s best to allow extra time in case there are any delays. Unexpected issues can arise with passport applications, so always plan for the worst-case scenario.

It’s important to note that certain countries may reject a visa application if the passport’s expiration date falls within the next few months.


Renewing your passport in advance is the best way to ensure that when the time comes for a new adventure, you’ll be able to make it without any issues. It may seem like a hassle if you are forced to prepare for three, six, and sometimes even more months ahead of time – but it’s usually well worth the effort.

U.S. Passport Processing Time for Summer [2023]

Are you planning on traveling abroad this summer? Your Summer 2023 vacation is quickly approaching and it’s time to start looking into your travel paperwork. One document often overlooked when preparing for an international trip is the U.S. passport—which should be applied for, or renewed if necessary, well in advance of your departure date.

U.S Passport Processing Time:

When it comes to traveling abroad, getting a U.S. passport is an essential first step, and one that requires some planning. The processing time for a passport varies, but on average can take between 10-14 weeks as of June 21st, 2023.

If you need your passport processed faster, you can request expedited passport service, which can take 2-3 weeks.

However, it’s important to note that this service will come with an additional fee. There are also visa services available that can help streamline the process and provide additional assistance throughout the visa application process.

No matter which option you choose, it’s always best to start the process as early as possible to avoid any unnecessary stress or delays.

Expedited Processing Time

In today’s fast-paced world, efficiency and speed are often top priorities for businesses and individuals alike. Fortunately, expedited processing time options are becoming increasingly common for a wide range of services, from online shopping to passport applications.


With all of the changes that have been announced in 2021, travelers need to consider passport processing times this upcoming summer travel season. Summer trips should be planned well in advance if a new passport is necessary for the trip and should include enough time for any additional steps such as verifying passport information before departing.

Everything You Need To Know About Passport Requirements for Canadian and Mexican Travel

Are you planning a trip to Canada or Mexico? If so, it’s important to make sure that your passport is up-to-date and meets the necessary requirements. Knowing about the different passport requirements — such as application processes and expiration dates — can help ensure your travels go smoothly.

Since June of 2009, anyone going from the U.S. to the “friendly border” of Canada or Mexico needs a passport or equivalent document. Both Canadian and Mexican authorities may not ask to see your passport when crossing, but the U.S. officials will when returning home thanks to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

Educate yourself before the trip, so you don’t end up stuck somewhere when going to Canada.

Mexico Tourist Card (FMM Tourist Card)

For travelers who are considering visiting Mexico, it’s important to know about the Mexico Tourist Card or the FMM Tourist Card. It’s a necessary visa service that allows visitors to stay in the country for up to 180 days and also serves as proof of legal entry into the country.

The FMM Tourist Card can easily be obtained upon arrival at most airports in Mexico or at border crossings.

It’s important to note that travelers are required to have a valid passport and should fill out the tourist card form carefully to avoid any issues during their stay in Mexico.

Related: Do You Need a Passport to Go to Mexico? [2023]

Passport vs. NEXUS

At one time, you could make the trip to Canada or Mexico with nothing more than a birth certificate and photo ID. That is no longer the case, however. Thinking ahead and getting a passport is always your best option, but for frequent travelers, there are other choices.

A Nexus Card allows for a quick crossing into the country for those who travel back and forth regularly. The application process is extensive; NEXUS approval requires both an interview and fingerprinting. They will do a full criminal background and law enforcement check prior to issuing the card.

Exceptions to the Passport Rule

There are a few exceptions to the passport rule.

  • Children under the age of 16 need only carry a birth certificate or citizenship card.
  • Groups of individuals between the ages of 16 to 18 only need a birth certificate if they are traveling as part of a group for school or other organizations. They must be accompanied by an adult who has a valid passport.

What You Need for a Passport

When applying for your first passport, you must visit a local office. Necessary documents include:

All documents must be original and will be returned to you with the new passport.

In addition, you must have proof of identification. Bring the original document plus a photocopy of it, front and back.

  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Current Government ID
  • Current Military ID
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Passport Photo – Get the photo taken by a service that offers passport photos to ensure it meets all the requirements.

How long does it take?

The average passport takes between 10 to 13 weeks to process – even expedited service will require about three weeks. If you are in a bind, a third-party passport processing company can get the document to you overnight for a fee.


As you can see, there are a lot of important details to keep in mind when preparing for international trips from Canada and Mexico. Obtaining the proper form of identification such as a passport is key to successful international travel for Canadian and Mexican citizens.

The Truth About Passport & Visa Expediters [Post Covid]

How do passport expeditors work? Is a passport expeditor a legitimate method of obtaining a passport within 24 to 48 hours? These are some of the most common questions in the U.S. Passport Help Guide we usually receive.

In this article, we will explain how the process works. So this will be a very informative post about which passport expeditor is the right one, and how to go about choosing a passport expediting company to expedite your vital documents.

Which Passport & Visa Should I Choose?

There are many passport expeditors around the nation that are accredited by the BBB and have favorable ratings with many online review services. and National Passport Service rank high based on customer experience.

These companies would be able to obtain your expedited passport. The bottom line is they all state the same thing. They can get your passport fast online without the hassle.

If you would like a curated list of all passport and visa expeditors nationwide National Passport Service shares information on the top 10 services based on price, customer reviews, and timeliness.

It’s important to know passport expediters provide a hand carry service and appear at the Regional Passport Agency in lieu of the applicant having to appear. If the applicant were to appear in person, the passport agency will give the passport directly to the applicant just as fast as the passport expediting company.

Questions to Ask Passport Expediters?

  • Which passport agency processes my passport application?
  • How long is the company in business?
  • What is the cancellation policy?
  • Would my passport application be outsourced to a third-party company?
  • Do you have a physical location?
  • Are you registered with any passport agencies?
  • How many years have you been doing passport expediting?
  • Are you on the BBB and are you accredited?
  • Can we contact a customer via email to ask for a reference?

What to do before Purchasing Expedited Passport Services?

  • Check the companies’ other reviews on public review sites like Yelp, BBB, and Facebook.
  • Call the 800 number and make sure someone picks up the phone, and customer services are being provided.
  • Check if they have any online chat services.
  • Make sure the company where you are purchasing the service is the actual passport courier and not a third-party vendor.

How Does Expediting a Passport Work?

In order to process an expedited passport with a registered courier service, the process is pretty simple. Many expeditors advertise a three or four-step process.

  1. The first step is to order the expedited service that meets your needs. Many expeditors can process the passport as quickly as 24 hours. There are budget-friendly options as well starting around $99 for expedited processing
  2. Once submitting a passport order, the next step for a passport application is to follow a set of passport application instructions. You will have to meet all the passport requirements and prepare all the documents for shipping.
  3. Once you have prepared the documents the applicant will ship the passport to the expeditor for processing.
  4. Now your passport is in processing with the expediter and a regional passport agency. Once the passport is complete, you will receive a notification that your passport is complete or not by the Passport Agency. Most expediters use FedEx or UPS to ship back your documents with preferred overnight shipping

Where can I apply for an Expedited Passport?

When looking to use a passport expeditor it is recommended that you first try to get your passport with the regional passport agency in your area. If this is not possible due to the location of the passport agency or no appointment is available then we recommend finding a reliable passport expeditor from our passport expediting directory.

How does a private company be able to process my passport application? Private companies could only expedite passports in an emergency situation. You will need to be traveling within fourteen days or thirty days if a visa is necessary.

These companies are  “couriers” that hand carry your passport application to the regional passport agency that they are registered with meaning they will hand-deliver your passport application to the passport agency, communicate any problems with the application then deliver your application back to you.


In conclusion, if you’re looking to expedite your passport and visa process during the post-Covid world, it’s important to keep in mind that the current climate has changed how many countries operate. Passport and visa expediting services have gone digital and are now more accessible than ever.

Although there will still be application processing times, they often reduce them dramatically for travelers attempting to gain fast entry into a country. Despite this, understanding the laws surrounding passports and visas in your destination countries still matters most.