My 12 year old son holds a permanent residence card. Can he apply for U.S. passport?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  Three years ago I became a U.S. citizen. My 12 year old son holds a permanent residence card. Am I able to apply for a U.S. passport for my son even though he is not a U.S. citizenship?

Answer:  Children that are minors who have parents that are citizens, automatically will receive a U.S. citizenship. This is  true they are under the age of 18, reside with their parents, and have a permanent residence status. This applies to your 12 year old son.

Even if one parent is a U.S. citizen, then all minor under 18 years automatically becomes a citizen.

If a parent has sole custody, that parent must prove it when submitting documentations for a minor’s passport. The parent will need to fill out form DS-11, gather any supporting documents, and then visit a passport application acceptance facility.

A complete list of passport acceptance agencies can be found on this link.

If you wish to get the passport urgently because your plans call for leaving within 2 weeks you can apply for expedited service at one of the regional offices listed here.