4 Year Old Traveling to Canada. What will I need in order to take my son to Canada for the wedding?

Question & Answer

Question My son is the ring bearer for my brother’s wedding. He is a 4 year old traveling to Canada, where the wedding will be taking place. What will I need in order to take my son to Canada for the wedding?

Answer Entering in to Canada from the United States will be a different process than when entering the United States from Canada. When entering Canada as United States Citizens, you will not have to provide a United States passport. You must provide evidence that you are a U.S. citizen with a birth certificate, invalidate passport, or naturalization papers. Also, you can also provide a government identification such as a Driver’s License.

If you are traveling by air, all U.S. citizens must provide a valid U.S. passport when entering the United States. When crossing into the United States from Canada by land or sea, United States citizens will have to provide one of the following, a passport card, a valid United States passport, or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). WHTI include Enhanced Driver’s License, Trusted Traveler Programs (NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI), United States Military identification with traveling orders, etc.

United States citizens that are under the age of 16 years old traveling by land or sea will have to provide, a certified birth certificate to prove that the minor is a United States citizen.

If you will be traveling by air, your son will need a valid U.S. passport in order to enter the United States from Canada. If you will traveling by land or sea, your son will need proof of citizenship.

You can use the following link to gain more information of obtaining a child’s passport.

How to Apply for a Child’s Passport

Regular processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. You can use and expedited passport service which will process your son’s passport within 2-3 weeks.

Get an Expedited Passport in As Little as 24 Hours!

Looking to travel in 30 days? And need to replace your passport, renew passport or get a new passport. U.S. Passport Help Guide provides all passport expediting services with passport services starting as low $199.00

Get an Expedited Passport Today!