Add another name to my full name. What can I do to add my whole name to my passport?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I would like to add another name to my full name. I have been going by this nick name for years and everyone knows me by it. What steps should I take in order to add my nick name to my passport. I have tried to add my name to my license. DMV will not allow me because then I will have four names in their database. According to them it will mess their programs up. What can I do to add my whole name to my passport?

Answer:  When applying for a passport, you have to apply in your legal name that you are using as of current. You will have to provide documents to prove that the name you use is indeed your legal name. Only certain documents are acceptable as proof towards your legal name. These documents are a court order, a divorce decree, marriage certificate, or adoption decree. You can also provide a public record to prove that you have been using that name exclusively. You will have to prove that you use the assume name solely for a period of at least 5 years.

In order to have your name legally change, you must obtain a court order stating so. After you have done that, you must apply for a passport with your new legal name change. This will be the only way you can add another name to a passport. There will be different forms and guidelines to follow for different categories. Make sure you chose the appropriate forms and documents that correspond to what you want to do.

If you had your passport less than one year, you can add another name on your passport for free. However, if it is over a year, then you must pay the fee.

The following link will deliver more insight on this topic: