Do I Need to Apply for a Passport in the State of My Birth?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I was born and was raise in Boston, Massachusetts. I am currently living in Florida and I am now very close to the Caribbean. Being so close to the Caribbean and points south, I want to get my passport. Do I need to apply for a passport in the state of my birth? Or, can I get my passport anywhere in the United States? I really appreciate the advice you have to offer me.

Answer: The passport is a Federal Government document. Hence, it is not reliant on the State of birth or where you live now. You can apply for a passport by going to any passport agency, regional passport agency or seek the guidance of a passport expediting service.

The only thing you should be careful about is if your legal identification documents have different addresses. In that case, be sure you have at least 3 forms of identification showing the address that you put on your passport application DS-11. Another requirement of the application is proving U.S. Citizenship, which you will have to provide the necessary documents to do so. Please see this link for details regarding passport applications. The passport forms are in the lower left hand corner of the page.