Can I have a passport and passport card at the same time?

QUESTION:   If I apply for a passport card, do I need a regular passport to visit Bermuda? In addition, can I hold both at the same time?


ANSWER:   Since you are traveling to a country abroad that is one of these following countries, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean, a passport card can be used to allow you to travel to or from the United States and Bermuda. A passport card is a very convenient way to travel. If you are interested in gaining a passport card for travel between the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda, then that can be done.

If the applicant already has a passport book and is capable of utilizing form DS-82, they can apply for a passport card by the using a mailing system. Moreover, an applicant can use the same form, DS-82 when they go to apply for a renewal of their passport book at the same time that they are applying for their passport card if that is necessary. On the other hand, if you are not eligible to use form DS-82, then you will have to use form DS-11 in order to apply for a passport card. Form DS-11 will necessitate the applicant to appear in person at their local passport application acceptance facility in order for them to obtain their passport card.

Passport cards are assembled with a RFID chip that does not comprise of any personal information of the passport cardholder, however it does have information that points to biographical information of the passport cardholder and photographs that are downloaded from government databases.