Change My Name On My Passport. Where do I submit the form and all the other documents?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I was informed that I can change my name on my passport for free since I have it less than one year ago. Where do I submit the form and all the other documents?

I live in Delaware and I would like to know where the nearest place available near me that I can apply for a name change?

Answer:  You will be able to take your passport to change your name to a variety of different agencies around you. However, it will all depend on how quickly you need your named changed and passport processed.

If you will need your passport as soon as possible, you can visit your closest regional passport agency. You will have to appear in person if you wish to change your name on your passport. Being that you are in Delaware, you must travel to a nearby state in order to appear in person at a regional passport office. Below is a link to the closest regional passport office near you:

Philadelphia Passport Agency

For routine or expedite passport services, you can use Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement. On this form, you will find two different addresses. Both addresses will be in Philadelphia. You can choose regular passport processing. Regular passport processing will take about 4-6 weeks to process your passport. There is also an option for expedited passport service,  which will process your passport in about 2-3 weeks. If you choose to use the expedited passport service, you will have to include an additional $60 with your payment. Also, you must write the word expedite on the envelope that you send your documents. Also, we advise that you use a two-way overnight mailing process that will deliver to a P.O. Box address.

If you are unable to do any of these processes yourself, you can get a professional passport expediter. An expediter will submit your change of name application for you. The following link will contain more information on this process: