Change to my married name on my passport

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I got married about a year ago in June. I would like to change to my married name on my passport. Can I send in any 2 photos of myself? How much will my fees be?

Answer:  The fees will depend on a time frame. If you happen to fall within the period of time that is allowable, you will be able to change your name on your passport free of charge. You have up to one year after possessing your passport to have your name change on it. If the one year has past, then you must mail your application. You will have to fill out form DS-82, collect all supporting documents, and finally package and mail them. This regular passport service has a fee of $75. This is for regular processing. There is an expedite service available for a fee of $60 extra.

The link below will provide guidelines for this process:

How to Renew a Passport

Regarding the photos, you cannot send in any 2 photos. The State Department has very strict guidelines in regards to passport photos. The photos must be recent. Which means taken within the last 6 months. Also, they will have to be in color, must be in a matte or glossy finish. In addition,  the photo must be full face with a white background, 2×2 inches in dimensions, and taken with a neutral facial expression with both eyes open. Finally, the photo should be 1 inch from the chin to the top of the head.

For information on passport photos, use the link below:

Passport Photo Requirements