How to Get a Passport for Children in Foster Care?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  There is a 14 year old boy in foster care whom I am the social worker for. Being that we cannot find where his parents are, there are no signatures that can be obtained. Once I have obtained a court order, what are the next steps for getting a passport for children in foster care?

Answer:  Whomever is present with the minor will have to present evidence of legal custody or a notarized consent. After obtaining a court order which will allow for legal custody or guardianship, the guardian must appear with the minor at the passport application acceptance center. The guardian must submit the documents to the agent with all the necessary documentations and forms.

A list of passport agencies within the various states is  here.  They can also advise you as to how to best handle the issue of children in foster care.

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) is a government service. Hence, this for legal guardians of minor children. Through this service, the guardian or parent of a minor gets inform before a minor gets a passport. The law states, “The parent, legal guardian, legal representatives, or the court of competent jurisdiction must submit a written request for entry of a child’s name into the program to the Office of Children’s Issues”.  For more information regarding this issue see the government site here.