Convicted Felon Traveling to Canada. Will I be able to travel to Canada now?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  Currently, I have a valid U.S. Passport. I am a convicted felon traveling to Canada. My felony was 10 years ago.

Answer:  This type of matter is handled by the Canadian Border Services Agency. Criminal inadmissibility according to the Canadian Border Services Agency is, “a person who will not be allowed to visit or stay in Canada because they have committed or been convicted of a crime in, or outside of, Canada.” The Canadian Border Services Agency’s goal is to ensure “you have a stable life and that you are unlikely to get involve in any further criminal activity.”

If you are criminally inadmissible by the Canadian Border Services Agency, you are able to request rehabilitation. Hence, you can request rehabilitation five years after your felony sentence past.

After you have served your sentence, you can apply for rehabilitation at a Canadian visa office in the U.S. After applying, the process can take up to one year to process. The payment for this rehabilitation will depend on the severity of the crime you have committed, as well as if the Minister will have to grant you authority to enter the country. The payment can range roughly from $160 to $800. (U,S, Currency)

In special cases, you can enter or stay in Canada if you obtain a temporary residents permit. If you are currently inadmissible but have valid reasoning for being in Canada then you may be issues a temporary residents permit. An immigration officer will determine if your reasoning to stay or enter Canada compensates the well-being of Canada’s health and safety before you can get a temporary residents permit. For information on this topic, use the following link.

Visiting Canada: Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility