Passport application form-correcting information on my passport

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: Many years ago, I received my passport with what seemed like a typographical error. It did not seem like a big deal at the time and frankly never used the passport. So, is there a way of correcting information on my passport?

Now, however I am going out of the country and am concerned that the information on my passport be correct. I checked with my local passport office and they informed me that I should have the information changed so my passport details are accurate. How do I do this?

Answer: Errors such as typos, incorrect information can be easily changed by filling out a form  DS-5504.  For more information you can access the information at the following link.

There are two addresses provided on Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement. One address is for routine service. This takes 4-6 weeks to complete. The other address is for expedite services. This takes 2-3 weeks to complete.

Note: If you request expedite services, be sure to include a payment of $60 and write the word “Expedite” on the outside of the envelope. So, one recommendation is that you use a two-way overnight delivery method that can deliver to a P.O. Box.

Apply for Passport Corrections