Could I Renew My Passport without My Current Passport?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I am currently a college student in New York and I will be studying abroad in the following fall semester. I was 15 when I had my passport and it will be expiring in November. The problem is that I live in California and will not be able to take my current passport with me to renew it because my college keeps them until the fall when we leave to study abroad. If I provide the necessary documents, will I be able to renew my passport in New York?

Answer:  Yes, you will be able to renew your passport in New York without your current passport. If you provide all the necessary documents, you can proceed with the application. However, you must go to an application acceptance agency to start the process.

The form you will need to submit is Form DS-11.  A passport agent must witness your signing of the form. As for evidence to prove you are a U.S. citizen, an existing passport or a birth certificate will suffice.

In the case that you are applying at a New York Passport Office and you present an out-of-state primary Identification, such as an out-of-state Driver’s License, you will also have to provide an additional photo Identification. The additional piece of ID must have your photo, full name, date of birth, and the date of issuance.

Additionally, you will need 2 passport photos and corresponding fees. The fees are the application fee and an execution fee. Those fees are $110 and $25 respectively. The first payment will be to the Department of State. The second must be to the Acceptance Facility.