Frequent Travel To Canada

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I am involved in frequent travel to Canada. I travel to Quebec weekly to see my family. I live in New York, very close to the New York-Quebec border.  Since I travel weekly, I cannot send my passport out for weeks to get renew. Is there any way that I can take my passport to an office where it can get done and I can get my new passport back the same day?

Answer:  Firstly, you can apply for a passport card using form DS-11.  You can only use a passport card for land and sea crossings between the United States and Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean region. Hence, using this form will enable you to keep your passport book while your passport card submission is in process. Nonetheless, you will have to apply for a passport card at a local acceptance facility. The following link will provide you with local passport port acceptance facilities in New York.

Passport Card applicant must:

  • Bring (2) passport photos
  • Proof of identity
  • Photocopy of proof of identity
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Completed, unsigned application form
  • Bring $20 fee for passport card

All documents must be in the hands of the agent at the passport application acceptance facility. You will be sworn in and will have to sign the application in front of the agent.

Secondly, you may apply at a New York Passport Agency. You will have to make an appointment using the following phone number, 1-877-487-2778.

You will need to:

  • Submit form DS-82.
  • Submit (2) passport photos
  • Have your current passport with you

There will be a fee of $75 for the passport book and an additional $60 for expediting services. Also, you are able to request a passport card when you renew your passport book. The passport card has a fee of $20. Below is a link to help you locate your passport agency.