How Do I Go About Getting a passport abroad For My Daughters?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I currently reside in the U.S. I took my daughters to Canada when they were very young, ages 4 and 6. They are registered as dual citizens in Canada and we do not have passports for them as they were not necessary. Now, they are 14 and 16 years old and want to come back to the U.S. Will the dual citizenship have any negative affects at the U.S. Embassy in Canada? Will they need passports to enter the U.S. since they did not need one to leave the U.S.? How do they go about getting a passport abroad?

Answer:  Fortunately, your daughters will not have any issues getting a passport at the U.S. Embassy in Canada. Especially since they have dual citizenship. Nonetheless, they will definitely need U.S. passports to enter back into the U.S.

Being that one of your daughters is 14 years old, she must be accompanied by both parents at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in order to obtain a passport. Your daughter that is 16 years can go with one parent to the Embassy or Consulate. However, if both parents are not able to make it to the Embassy or Consulate, there is still something that you can do in order to obtain their passports. You need a notarized consent document from the non-applying parent. That will provide proof that the non-applying parent is aware of the current situation. If you are sending a third party with your daughters, then they will need to carry the notarized consent from both parents along with copies of identifications.

Requirements to obtain a passport will include:

  • A recent passport photo
  • Proof of United States citizenship
  • Completed Form DS-11
  • Valid Identification
  • Copy of Valid Identification

In addition to these requirements, you will have to submit evidence of relationship for your younger daughter. This can be done using a birth certificate.

The following link will give you more information about this process.