Information differs on various documents such as birth date on my passport

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: My information differs on various documents. My Birth date is incorrect on my passport. It is correct on my official American Citizenship Certificate, on my license and social security card. How do I correct the passport information since I travel a lot overseas and I am concerned that the mismatch information may create a problem in some countries?

Answer: To correct information of your U.S. Passport, you can request a correction using the form DS-5504. Fill out the form and of course be sure to provide your correct birth date. Then mail it to the address on the form.

There is a small fee and you will have to include your current passport along with proof of identity and correct birth date. If the mistake was made during printing, then you will not pay a fee for the correction. You may be able to copy some documents when you are submitting these documents. For example, you may make a photocopy of a valid driver’s license or birth certificate, be sure to mail the original passport and copies only of the other documents.

This process may take place as long as the passport is current and valid. The process is usually quick and can be fast if you point out printing errors.