Maiden Name on U.S. Passport in Addition to Full Name

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I have a bachelorette party in Trinidad in about a month. I have two of my friends that still have their maiden name on their passports. Is there any way we can go to an office instead of mailing them out to have their names change so we can avoid the $60 expedited fee?

Answer:  Using the expedited passport service will likely be the best route for you and your friends to take. Regular passport processing will take around 4-6 weeks. It can take longer if more information and documents are needed. So, you will need to get the maiden name change on the passport through an expediting service. That is if you all want to go on your trip on time.

Unfortunately, it does not matter if you send your applications by mail or appear in person at a Regional Passport Agency. You can not avoid the expediting fee. You will have to pay $60 for each passport using the expediting service. If you need your passport within 2 weeks or less, you can visit a region agency office. Usually, Expedited services will take approximately 2-3 weeks. It can take longer if there is missing documents or other issues.

If you had a passport less than a year ago, then you do not need to apply for a new passport for the maiden name change. However, if it was more than a year, your friends will have to apply for a passport renewal. You must provide the additional necessary requirements along with the additional fees. If your friends were minors at the time when they got their passports, then they will have to appear in person and apply for a new passport.