Will I be able to use my military passport for vacation?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I am currently deploy on military duty overseas with a military passport. After my time of deployment is over, I would like to visit the Dominican Republic. Will I be able to visit the D.R. with my military passport for vacation? Will I need to apply for a regular U.S. passport?

Answer:  Unfortunately, you will not be able to travel to the D.R. with a military passport. Military passports were given to individuals to conduct Official Military Business. Hence, you will need to apply for a tourist passport to go on vacation. Here is the process or steps you must take when applying for a passport.

Firstly, you can set up an appointment with the closest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Appointments may not be necessary, but we recommend that you set one up due to high traffic volume at the Embassy. The following link will provide you with the nearest U.S. Embassy and Consulate locations.

United States Embassy and Consulate Locations

Secondly, you can submit your application for your passport at your Personnel Actions Command (PAC) or S1 (personnel office) shop. They will continue your passport application process for you.

Lastly, you can delay the submission of your passport application until you are back in the U.S. Once in the U.S., you can apply for a passport at your local passport application acceptance facility. If you need your passport in a rush, you can go to the closest regional passport agency . There, you will be able to speed up your application process.

Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. You can use an expedited passport service which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. To obtain a passport on the same day you apply, you will have to visit your closest regional passport agency. Or, employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you.