Passport application form – military special passport

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I currently have a military special passport. I understand that it is use for official military business. What do I need to do to get a civilian passport and is that OK to have both? I did have a regular passport many years ago but it expired. What should I do?

Answer: Military passports, as you mentioned, are uniquely for official military business and cannot be used for non-military travel.

You need to get a civilian passport. If your previous passport is less than  15 years old you can simply renew it by mail using the form DS- 82.  You will be able to use Form DS-82 if the following are true:

  • Your U.S. Passport is in good condition.
  • You had your U.S. Passport at age 16 or older.
  • You had your U.S Passport for more than past 15 years
  • Your U.S. Passport was issues in your current name or you can legally document your name change.


A complete description of the steps to be taken can be found HERE.

You can still renew by mail even after expiring for more than 5 or less years.

If you do not meet those requirements than you need to apply for a new passport using the form DS-11. Follow the instructions HERE.

It is legal to have both a military and civilian passport.