QUESTION:   I am a 15 year old looking to get a minor passport. My mom is MIA since I was 2 years old and I want to know if I need the consent from both of my parents in order to obtain a passport?

ANSWER:   That is very unfortunate to hear that your mother is MIA for such a long period of time. Unfortunately, being that you are 15 years of age, you will need to provide the proof of consent of both parents. This necessary when applying for a passport if they cannot appear with you. A notarized letter from the non-appearing parent is what is needed in order to prove their consent.

Since you are not able to get into contact with your mother, we advise you to take a different approach. In this situation the best solution would be to wait until you are 16 years of age. Then apply for your minor passport. If you wait until you are 16 years of age to obtain your passport, it will be less difficult. At 16 years of age, an applicant does not have to provide the consent from both parents. The consent of 1 parent or legal guardian will be sufficient. If there is an emergency need for your passport, then you will have to obtain the consent from your mother in order to obtain the passport.

Get an Expedited Passport in As Little as 24 Hours!

Looking to travel in 30 days? And need to replace your passport, renew passport or get a new passport. U.S. Passport Help Guide provides all passport expediting services with passport services starting as low $199.00

Get an Expedited Passport Today!