My Son is turning 18 in June and his passport has been expired for a year now. What is procedure for renewing?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  My son is turning 18 in June and his passport has been expired for a year now. What is the procedure for renewing his passport?  We have unfortunate circumstances in Trinidad as my father is very sick. So, I would like to have his passport renewal expedited just in case we have to go on short notice. What will be the most efficient way of handling this?

Answer:  For minors 16 and 17 years of age, they will have to appear in person at a passport application acceptance facility. If the minor is able to provide photo identification, then a parent does not have to go with them. But if not implied on the application, written consent will be asked for.

Your son must provide:

  • 2 passport photos
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  • Complete and un-sign DS-11 Form
  • Proof of Identity
  • Photocopy of identification document
  • Payment of fees

The fastest way for your son to receive a passport is to go to the passport application acceptance facility in person.

Also, an Expedited service is available and in cases of emergency. With this service, he can get a passport in as quickly as a day.

Furthermore, the fastest way is to find a regional office close by and make an appointment. You can find the closest regional office using this LINK.

Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. So, you can use an expedited passport service  which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. The quickest way to obtain a passport would be to visit your closest regional passport agency. Or employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you.