Change my name on my passport to my married name and have in under 4 weeks.

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I will be traveling in a few weeks for my job. I will need my passport as we are traveling abroad. What steps can I take to change my name on my passport to my married name and still be able to have it before 4 weeks? Can I ask for an expediting service?

Answer:  Well, first off, you will have to determine which form to use. This depends on when you obtained your current passport and whether you are able to provide acceptable proof for the name change or not. The following link will help you determine which form to use. Passport Name Change Information

After you have gained knowledge on passport name changing using the above link, you can determine the form needed and the process in which you would like to submit the application. The address that you will mail the documents will be on the form that you use. A special address applies for expedited passport services.

Regular passport processing takes about 4-6 weeks. Expedited passport processing takes about 2-3 weeks. These are rough estimates and passports can arrive a little before or after the estimated time frame. You should be able to receive your passport in time for your trip, but there is no promise.  There are two options that will definitely have your passport to you before you take your trip.

You can schedule an appointment at the regional passport agency that services your state. Passport agencies will attend to the needs of American citizens that need a passport in two weeks. The following link will help you find your regional passport agency:

However, if you cannot make it to a regional passport agency in person, you can apply for a professional expediting service that can hand in your application for you. To learn more, use the following link: Apply to Expedite Passport Name Change