Need one part of my name change on my passport, how to?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I would like to change one part of my name change on my passport. Currently, my passport has my name as Johnathan Jordan Jr. instead of Johnathan Jordan III. Every other legal document and legal identification that I have has my name as Johnathan Jordan III. I am confuse as to why they would put Jr. on my passport. My passport will expire in a month. I would like to change my name to Johnathan Jordan III. What is the most efficient way of going about this?

Answer:  It is strange that your passport was issued as Jordan Jr. instead of Jordan III. Luckily, the process will not be too difficult. The most efficient way of getting this process done will be to apply for a legal name change.

First, you will have to fill out the DS-5504: Application Form for Name Change and Data Corrections and then have that form notarized. Then, you will have to file the application with the circuit court.  Locate one closest too you and pay the fees. Finally, you will have to appear at the hearing and testify in front of a judge about the reasoning for your request.

After getting your name change approval, ask for a certified copy of the legal name change by the court. You should send this copy along with your passport application and any other necessary documentations.

However, if you do not want to go through this process, there is another alternative. You can request a name change when you apply for a renewal of your passport. You must fill out the appropriate application, along with the necessary documentation. Provide public records or identifications that show your use of the name Johnathan Jordan III exclusively for that last five years. Unfortunately, this process can come with complications as opposed to the first process. You will usually have to provide more documents with delays in processing of your passport with passport renewal approach.