My passport has been expired for about 20 years now and I have misplaced it. What must I do?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  My passport has been expired for about 20 years now and I have misplaced it. I received my passport when I was 11 years old. I will be traveling abroad soon and I will need my passport to do so. Can I apply for a passport as a new applicant instead of reporting it lost or stolen? I am also married now and will have to change the name on my passport. What are the rules regarding passport expiration date?

Answer:  You must apply for your passport as a new applicant and as an adult. This is obvious since your passport is over 20 years old.

In the case of changing your name, you will have to provide two to three public record documents. These documents can be military records, Medicare records, tax records, school records, insurance records, employment records, bank books, driver’s license, etc. Two to three of these documents will help prove that your name has being for the past 5 years.

With these documents, you will also have to provide a “Statement of Witness in Support of Change of Name.” Also, you will need two or more witnesses that have known the applicant for at least five years so that they know both names of the applicant and can confirm that the applicant has been using the new name that they would like to change on their passport for at least five years. You can use friend, family or co-workers to come as witnesses.

If you have not used the new name for 5 years, then it can be included as a “known as” if the supporting documentation proof is sufficient. Any witnesses will have to be present with you at the passport office and they will have to have their statements sworn in front of Consular Officer. The swearing in will confirm the use of your new name. Witnesses should bring photo identification with them. Affidavits will be provided at no cost.

The following link will provide you with more information

New Passport Requirements