My passport is lost while on vacation, what to do?

Question:  I was on vacation in Australia and my passport is lost while I am here. I had a limited-validity passport or temp passport and I have to obtain an official passport to replace this temporary passport that I have. What are the necessary steps for this process?

Answer:  The time of issuance of the temporary or limited-validity passport will determine the process in which you must complete to obtain an official passport.

Receiving a temporary passport less than one year ago will allow you to submit DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement. In addition to the above form, you will need to also provide the following:

  • (2) passport photographs
  • Your current passport
  • Necessary documentation mention on the limited-validity passport

You will need to mail the application and the necessary documentation to the address that is on the form. This service will be free of charge unless you specify that you want expedited service.

On the other hand, if your limited-validity passport was issued more than one year ago, then you will have to fill out Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. The following will also need to be provided with the above form:

  • (2) passport photographs
  • Your current passport
  • Name change documentation if your name has changed
  • Any documentation mention on the limited-validity passport

The fee to renew a passport as of current is $130 and an additional $60 for expediting services.

When performing either one of the above processes, you should mail your documents in a secure envelope. Make sure you have a tracking number to trace where your important documents are during the mailing process.