What do I do if the regional passport office is far away from where I live?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and need to travel out of the country within the next three weeks. I was told I can get what is called “expedited service” by visiting a regional office but the passport office is far away, the nearest one as far as I can tell is in Minneapolis which is quite far from me. How can I get this done? Is there a service that can do it for me? I do not yet have a passport.

Answer: You are correct. The fastest way to get expedite service is at a regional office. The regional office nearest you is the Minneapolis Passport Agency at:

United States Federal Office Building aka The “Old” Federal Building
212 3rd Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Given certain circumstances you can obtain a passport in one day. Normally “expedited service” can take about 7-8 days but may require that you “pick up” the passport. In which case, you would have to make that trip twice. However, if you decide to travel to them, be sure to bring the following:

  • The appointment confirmation number
  • Completed forms
  • Supporting document that are necessary
  • Method of payment (cash, major credit card, money order, check, check card or bank draft).
  • form DS-11 filled out

You will need to make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778. They normally open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. On Wednesday they are open at 9:00 a.m.

There is another way. There is a passport service agency in Sioux Falls. Address is below:

320 S 2nd Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
(605) 357-5001

They are open weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

In this case here are the procedures you can follow if you choose.

  1. You can hire an expediting service such as (link) to make the application submission on your behalf. You will still need to visit the local passport application center mentioned above.
  1. Tell the local agent that you are mailing your documents and application through a registered expediter directly to the reginal office and include a letter of authorization to the expediter. Also, make copies of that letter just in case. Indicate that the expediter will be submitting the request for expedite service at the regional office and your visit is to comply with the need to appear in person.
  1. Although you can try to expedite the service at the local office, there is no guarantee of rapid service and it could take up to three weeks. So, it is best to have the expediter do it at the regional office on your behalf if your need is urgent and you are unable to make the trip to the regional office.