Renew Passport – Need to renew passport while deployed

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I am currently in Afghanistan on military duty. I plan to spend my Rest and Recuperation period in Italy. My passport expired and I would like to know how I can renew passport while deployed. Thank You.

Answer:  While deployed in Afghanistan, you will be able to apply for a passport via a military passport acceptance agent. The following locations are military passport acceptance agencies around Afghanistan:

  • BAF- Bagram
  • Kabul
  • Phoenix and the Army Corps of Engineers
  • KAF- Kandahar

Also, you can visit the U.S. Embassy in Kabul to apply for a passport. The embassy is right next to the International Security Assistance Force Head Quarters. If you apply through the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, you will not have your passport returned to an Army Post Office. However, if your application was sent through a military acceptance agent, then you will have your new passport return via the same way.

If you wish to apply through the U.S. Embassy in Kabul , the hours of operation there are Sunday through Thursday, 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. Between 12 P.M. and 1 P.M. the embassy is close for lunch.

Keep in mind, U.S. citizens may have issues when they depart Afghanistan via commercial flights. This is due to the fact that you have arrived in Afghanistan through military air. Your passport will not show a stamp of you entering the country legally. We recommend that you legalize your status as soon as you arrive in Afghanistan via military air. This is essential since you will departing Afghanistan via a commercial flight and not by the military.