How Renewing a Childs Passport While in Mexico Possible?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  My daughter and I live in Mexico. She is 10 and is an American citizen. I am not an American citizen. I change her name to mine on her birth certificate but not on her expired passport. We have her old passport and social card to show she is a U.S. citizen. What is the procedure for renewing a childs passport?

Answer:  Since your daughter is still a minor, she will have to renew her passport in person. In addition to renewing her passport in person, she will need to appear with both parents since she is under 16 years old. If both parents cannot appear, then the parent that does appear will have to provide a notarized consent from the non-appearing parent that confirms that the non-appearing parent gives consent for the minor to obtain a passport.

You will have to provide the following at a U.S. Embassy or consulate in Mexico in order to renew your daughter’s passport:

  • (2) Current passport photos. 2 inches by 2 inches
  • Your daughter’s certified birth certificate that lists the parents’ names.
  • Certified birth certificate as mentioned above to prove your daughter is a U.S. citizen. You may also use a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Naturalization Certificate.
  • Your child’s social security number
  • Valid photo ID’s of minor and parents
  • Copies of those photo ID’s

To ensure your child’s birth certificate is certified you should look for a registrar’s seal that is:

  • Multicolored
  • Impressed
  • Raised
  • Imprinted

Also, the registrar’s signature should be on the birth certificate with the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office. The date you have filed with the registrar’s office should be within one year of your child’s birth.

For a list of various United States Embassies in Mexico, use the following link.