How Can I Replace My Lost Documents For International Travel?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I was born in Costa Rica. I moved to America more than 19 years ago and became an American citizen about 17 years ago. I think I may have to replace my lost documents. You see, when I became a citizen, I got a passport because I was anxious to visit my relatives back in Costa Rica. I have not traveled much since. Recently one of my relatives became sick and I want to visit however I cannot find my passport and think its expired anyway. Fact is most of my important documents were with it in a bag or something. I have my U.S. drivers licese but not much elese. What can I do to get a new passport?

Answer: One of the requirements for obtaining a U.S. pasport is proof of citizenship (or naturalization in your case). You old passport would have worked for this purpose but you say you cannot find it.

You have several choices.

  1. Apply for your passport and submit a request in writing for a file search. The Passport Service will attempt to locate your records which would contain documents previously you previously submitted which will serve as evidence of your citizenship. You will pay a feee of $150.
  2. A second option would be to apply to obtain a replacement Naturalization Certificate issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. To do so  file Form N-565 Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document. The fee for that service is $345.