How Replacing Misplaced Passport For Travel to Cancun Works?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I have misplaced my passport that was given to me in 2009. How can I find out if I can renew or replace it? I will be traveling to Cancun and I will need my passport for the trip.

Answer:  Your answer depends on the age you got you passport and the time you got it. If you were under the age of 16, you would get a minor’s passport. Hence, a minor’s passport is valid for 5 years. However, if you were 16 years or older, then your passport would be valid for 10 years. So, if you were given a passport valid for 10 years, then your passport should still be valid since the years are not up yet.

Since you misplaced your passport, you will run into some issues at the border. It could be the Mexican or the American border if you do  to have it. You will not be able to use any reference numbers that says your passport is valid, you will need to provide your actual passport to the border agent.

If you can, contact the National Passport Information Center to replace your passport at 1-877-487-2778.

You will have to apply for a new passport if you have misplaced your current passport and cannot find it. Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. Furthermore, you can use and expedited passport service which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. The quickest way to obtain a passport would be to visit your closest regional passport agency, or employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you. You should be able to receive your passport in two weeks or less. The following link will provide more information on how to obtain a passport.

How to Get a New Passport