I want to return the lost passport but do not know who to speak to.

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I recently found a U.S. Passport on a bus in Rego Park, NY. It was in good shape and looked like it was recently issued. So, I want to return the lost passport but do not know who to speak to. Should I try the U.S. Post Office? I think they have something to do with Passports. Or, should I try to find the passport owner and return it to them directly?

Answer: You should never try to reach out to the owner of a lost passport. Therefore, it is always best to deal directly with the government and not try to reach the individual who lost the passport. Please be advised to return the lost passport cannot be done where you typically get passports. The U.S. Post Office does not handle things like this. It is best to package it securely and send it via regular post directly back to the U.S. Government Department of State at the following address;

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

They have a process of solving this type of problem and it is much safer and more secure than anything you can do as a private individual.