Is it possible to call and pay to speed up the processing cycle?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I am pretty sure I will not need my passport within the next 7-8 weeks. Being that it will expire in July, I would like to get the process complete. If I were to take an unplanned trip to Canada and I don’t have my passport back at that time. What can I do? Is it possible to call and pay to speed up the processing cycle?

Also, for my own clarification, will I be receiving my old passport? I would really like to have it as a souvenir to remind me of all the trips I took. I appreciate the help!

Answer:  Before you can verify your applications status online, you need to wait roughly 5-7 days for your application information be enter into the system.

Being that you will not have a valid U.S. passport, you cannot travel to any international destinations via air.

However, you can ask for an expedite service after processing your passport application. As long as you can make payment with a valid credit card. You can contact the National Passport Information Center to expedite your passport services after mailing in your application at this toll free number 1-877-487-2778.

Lastly, if your existing passport is very damaged and in bad condition, you will not get it back. If this is the case, you can only keep it if you apply for a new passport at an application acceptance facility. In this instance, you will not have to submit the old passport.