Student Visa – Could I switch from work visa to student visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  If I currently have a work visa, can I switch from my work visa to a student visa?


Answer:  If you are currently in possession of a B-1 or B-2 visa with non-immigrant status, and wish to enroll in classes, you can accomplish it by applying for F-1 or M-1 student visa. Of course, this is possible only if specific criteria and guidelines are met. A list of  conditions are below.

An applicant can apply for an F-1 or M-1 student visa if:

  • The individual did not enroll in classes as of yet.
  • The current status of the B-1 or B-2 visa is still valid..
  • The applicant did not partaken in unauthorized employment.

In order for an applicant to change status from a B-1/B-2 visa to an M-1 or F-1 visa, they will have to submit an application to extend/change non-immigrant status by the use of form I-539. They will need to include the fees link to the process. In addition, the documents that go along as per the filing instructions.

If an applicant was to enroll in classes before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approves Form I-539, then they can not change the non-immigrant status of B to F or M.

If an applicant wishes to extend the length of their B1/B2 stay and they are already taking classes, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will not extend their B1/B2 visa due to status violation.