Will I be Able to Travel to Canada without an Effective Passport?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion My passport has recently expired and I will be going to Canada on an emergency trip. Will I be able to travel to Canada without an effective passport?

Answer Though it is not completely necessary, it is encouraged to carry and use an up-to-date and effective passport while you travel to and from the United States and Canada. However, there are a number of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative or WHTI documents that fall under compliance that you will be able to use.

Minors that are under the age of 16 will be able to provide a certified birth certificate. This document can be use at the borders between the United States and Canada by land or sea.

If you are traveling via air, a NEXUS card or a Merchant Mariner Document is the document to use. Merchant Mariner Documents can be used by U.S. citizens that are traveling on official business. NEXUS cards can provide expedited processing when traveling to or from the United States and Canada.

If you are traveling by sea or land, you can provide an Enhanced Driver’s License. Also, a NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI card, and/or a valid passport card.

If necessary criteria is met, you will be able to renew your passport by mail. For expedited services you will need to pay an additional fee on top of regular processing fees and your passport will take 2-3 weeks t process. For regular processing time, you should receive your new passport in 4-6 weeks.

If your passport will expire in Canada, you should visit a United States Embassy or United States Consulate  in Canada to renew your passport.

For even quicker service, you can apply at a regional passport agency  or you can get a private expediting service to submit your application for you. You should receive your passport in less than two weeks with these processes.