Would I be Able to Travel to London With Passport Card?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion I will be traveling to London in December with my 9 year old daughter to visit her father’s family. Will we be able to travel with a passport card or will I need our passports to travel to London?

Answer You and your daughter will need United States Passports to travel to and from London. A passport card will not be accepted since passport cards are for land or sea travel to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or the Caribbean.

Your daughter will need a passport also and you must consider the following. To renewal a minor’s passport, mail in the old one. You will have to appear with the child at your passport application acceptance facility and apply for a new passport. Both parents will have to be present. If both parents are unable to be present, then the parent that is present must present a notarize consent from the parent that is not present or any evidence of sole legal custody of the child.

As for you, the adult, you will be able to renew your passport via mail, if it is not significantly damaged, has not been expired for 15 years or more, and you were age 16 or older with it was issued. If this is not the case, then you will need to apply for a new passport. Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. You can use and expedited passport service  which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. This process can take less time if you hire a professional expediting service or visit your nearest regional passport agency.

The following link will provide you with more information and the guidelines on how to renew your passport via mail.

How to Renew Passport by Mail