I am traveling overseas for an emergency. What do I do?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I just learned that my cousin in South America is ill and I want to visit her as soon as possible. I have an old passport but am almost certain it has expired since I have not traveled overseas using the passport for over a decade. I live in Detroit, MI. Since I am traveling overseas for an emergency, is there a way I can get a new passport in less than 2 weeks.

Answer:  First you must determine exactly how old your passport is. If you had it within the last 15 years you can go through a fairly simple process of renewal. You are fortunate. There is a regional passport agency in Detroit who can assist you in obtaining an “expedited service” passport.

Here are the steps you should take:

The address of the Detroit Office is 211 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48226-3269. Their Phone number is 1-877-487-2778.

Make an appointment to visit in person. Operating hours are weekdays from 8:30 a.mm. to 2:00 p.m. excluding national holidays.

You must pay a $60 expedite service fee in additional to the regular passport fees.

You should bring “proof of travel” such as an itinerary from your travel agent or internet service. Therefore, you must make your plans to travel prior to requesting this “expedited service”. The fact is that this particular agency may not require “proof of travel” but I would suggest calling first or playing it safe and having those documents with you.

Also, you may request “will call” service, which will speed the process in cases of emergency such as life and death situations or immediate travel abroad. This will speed the process to 1-8 days depending on the situation.

At the time of the appointment the agency will inform you as to how the passport will be sent (or picked up).

For your appointment be sure to bring:

  • The appointment confirmation number
  • Completed forms
  • Supporting document that are necessary
  • Method of payment (cash, major credit card, money order, check, check card or bank draft).