Will My Son Need a Passport When Traveling to Guam?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion We will be traveling to Guam on a family vacation. My husband and I already have passports, but our 17 year old son does not, will he need a passport to travel with us on the vacation?

Answer You will be able to take your son with you while traveling to Guam on your family vacation. You do not need a passport to and from any U.S. territories. He will need a valid driver’s license or state issued photo identification.

The U.S. Territories are as follows:

  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico
  • The U.S. Virgin Islands
  • American Samoa
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Swains Island

Any U.S. citizen that returns directly from and U.S. territory has not been considered to have left the U.S. and does not need to have a passport present.

If you would like to obtain a passport for your son anyway, you can do so considering the following.  If he was given a passport as a minor, you will not be able to renew it. You will have to apply for a new passport using form DS-11.

Your son should fill the form out completely and leave the signature box blank. He will have to sign when the passport agent tells him to.

Also, your son will have to present to the agent proof of identity, proof of citizenship, a current passport photo, and a copy of his identity. He may need to use form DS-3053 to provide written consent by a parent. Lastly, he should carry payment for any associated fees.

Expedited services take about two to three weeks, while regular processing services take about four to six weeks.

The following link will provide you with more information regarding this topic.

How to Get a New Passport