Traveling With a Young Child. Wife and I Traveling To Mexico With 6 Year Old.

Question & Answer

Traveling with a young child to Mexico.

Question My wife and I will be traveling  with a young child . Our 3 year old son will be traveling to Mexico with us. We have our son’s social security card and birth certificate. If we are traveling with our young child will we need a passport for our son to re-enter the United States?

Answer Since your son is 3 years old and you will be traveling with a young child who falls under the age limit of 16, this means that if you will be traveling by land or sea, you will just need a certified birth certificate or certified copy of birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Canadian Citizenship Card, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. If you are traveling by air, the United States requires all United State citizens to provide a valid passport, even minors. So in the case of traveling by air, your son will need a passport.

To obtain a passport for your child, you will need to visit a passport application acceptance facility in person because your son is a minor. You will need to be present with your son as well as you wife at the passport application acceptance facility. If one parent cannot be present then the parent who is present will have to provide a notarized consent from the non-appearing parent that grants the appearing parent permission to apply for a passport for the minor. Complete all forms and documents before appearing in the passport application acceptance facility.

Get Passport for Child

Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. You can use and expedited passport service  which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. This process can take less time if you hire a professional expediting service or visit your nearest regional passport agency.

If you plan to travel in under one week, you can use “will call” service at the regional office. This service will process and make available your passport in 1-2 days.