Misplace My Passport Could I Travel Without a Passport?

Question and Answer

Question:  I have a question about traveling without a US passport. I misplaced my passport book and I would be traveling without a US passport to the Caribbean on a family event. Is there any way I can travel without my passport book?

Answer:  Since you have misplaced your passport book, you will be traveling without a US Passport. You can apply for a passport card using form DS-11 Download Here.

This will enable you to obtain a passport card and still apply for a passport book later on.

Where Could I Use a Passport Card

You can only use a passport card for land and sea crossings between the United States and Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean region. However, you will need to apply for a passport card in person at a local passport application acceptance facility. The following link will provide you with local passport port acceptance facilities in Connecticut.

As a passport card applicant, you will need to complete and provide the following, (2) passport photos, proof of identity, photocopy of proof of identity, proof of citizenship, completed and unsigned application form, and lastly, bring with you the $20 fee for passport card.

These documents should be presented to the agent at the passport application acceptance facility. You will be sworn in and will have to sign the application in front of the agent.

There is also another way of obtaining a passport card which you will not be able to use because you have misplaced your passport book, and that process requires you to have your passport book with you.

Also, you are able to request a passport card when you renew your passport book. The passport card has the same fee of $20.