V2-Should I get a passport book or a passport card?

QUESTION:   I am in a debate with myself whether to get a passport book or a passport card. Which one of them can be processed faster?


ANSWER:   Typically speaking, the U.S. Department of State Passport Services process and issue a passport card at the same time it takes to process if you were to obtain a passport book. This processing period can take 4 weeks and up to 6 weeks. This depends on the passport service demand at the time.

The passport card is a piece of travel documentation known as WHTI, which is very efficient to use when traveling. WHTI or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a form of a travel document that can be used for travel between The United States, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Fortunately, regarding your situation, you can request expedited passport service when you submit the application. There is an extra cost associated with the expedited fee of $60 for this service. An Expedited processing Service can take up to 3 weeks by mail.

Various passport agencies will expedite passport cards if the applicant is in need of a passport card in less than 2 weeks. If an applicant needs to obtain a passport, card as a travel document this quickly but is unable to appear at a regional agency, they can authorize a registered expediter such as Fastport Passport to submit the application for them.