V2-How do I renew my child’s passport?

QUESTION:   When my daughter was 6 years old, we got a passport for her. Now she is 11 years old and the passport has expired. Her passport was valid for 5 years and she now needs a new one. Please advise on this process.


ANSWER:   The applicant will need to appear with the child at their passport application acceptance facility with both parents. If both parents are not able to be show up, then the parent that is able to show up will need to provide a notarized consent from the non-appearing parent that or any evidence of sole legal custody of the child. A renewal of a passport that was issued to a minor will not be able to be done through mailing, as well as both parents having to appear at the passport facility.

Listed below are documents that should be brought to the passport facility when renewing a minor’s passport:

o Application Forms

o Passport Fees

o Photo Identification

o Parental Consent

o Passport Photo

o Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

o Evidence of Parental Relationship

To prove Evidence of Parental Relationship you will need to provide a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.

To prove Evidence of US citizenship can be done by providing a certified copy of a birth certificate of the applicant.

The applicant can use a previous issued, undamaged passport or a driver’s license.

If for some reason, one parent cannot make it, then they will need to provide a notarized letter stating their consent. Having parental consent for a minor that who is renewing their passport will mandate that both parents show up at the passport application acceptance facility.

Finally, make sure to carry the appropriate forms of payment for any fees that are associated with these processes.