Passport Gender Change: How to Change Gender Marker on Passport?

Gender X

Traveling with a passport that accurately reflects your gender can be essential to establishing your identity while abroad. However, suppose you are in the process of transitioning or have already transitioned to either male or female. In that case, it can be difficult and time-consuming to update the gender information to gender X listed on your existing passport.

Fortunately, some countries offer a more expedited option for travelers looking to amend their passport’s gender; here, we’ll outline how and when you should make changes to your travel document to feel comfortable and secure in expressing yourself as you traverse the globe.

What Documents Required to Change Gender Marker on Passport?

When applying for a passport, the picture on your ID must accurately reflect your current appearance for it to be accepted.

Related Read: Do You Need a Passport to Fly Domestic?

You are no longer required a doctor’s letter

Starting June 2021, American citizens who have changed or may change their gender can update their U.S. passports to reflect their gender identity without the need for a medical certificate.

It is no longer necessary to provide a physician’s letter to change the gender marker on your passport. Some travel websites and LGBTQ websites have not been updated with this information. Refer to the United States Department of State, which states that medical verification is no longer needed to change your gender marker.

How to Change the Gender Marker on Your Passport?

The U.S. Department of State announced the addition of an unspecified gender (X) marking for U.S. passport applicants to better assist citizens. Here’s how to update the gender on your U.S. passport.

Starting in the second half of 2023, the U.S. Department of State will offer the option to choose a passport card or expedited service with an X marker. This marker will be accessible due to upcoming technological updates.

  1. Birth Abroad Consular Reports
  2. Passport Cards
  3. Passports for emergencies can be printed at embassies and consulates.
  4. Agencies and centers that handle passports can provide emergency or expedited passport services.


The U.S. Department of State’s new gender marker is a great addition to the passport application process and provides citizens an extra layer of security. With the upcoming technological updates, you can now easily update your gender marker on your U.S. passport.

Applying for a passport with the X gender marker will require some extra paperwork, such as updating your birth certificate, but it is all to help make sure you have the safest and most secure passport possible. With this new update, U.S. citizens now have more options for applying for a passport and can rest assured that they are getting the best service available.