How to Renew Your Passport After Changing Your Gender?

I just completed a gender change and are trying to figure out how to make the change to all my identification such as U.S. passport and driver’s ID.



A gender change can be a stressful and trying experience. After you have changed your gender legally or officially begin the process to match your gender identity, the next step is to renew various forms of identification to reflect that.

The U.S.Passports & International Travel notes that a person’s I.D. (such as a photo I.D. or driver’s license) must reflect their current appearance, so if you have changed your identity physically, make sure that your current I.D. is updated to reflect this. This is true for the photo provided for your new passport. You must also provide a physician certificate to demonstrate whether your gender change is in progress or completed.

All other steps of obtaining a passport apply here as well. The difference between a physician identifying your gender change as in progress or completed is length; if your gender change is still in progress, your new passport is only good for two years, while if your gender change is completed, it will be good for the full 10 years.

If you are ready to submit the application, you may call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-274-7793.


REAL ID & Driver’s Information

NevadaNew HampshireNew Jersey
New MexicoNew YorkNorth Carolina
North DakotaOhioOklahoma
OregonPennsylvaniaRhode Island
South CarolinaSouth DakotaTennessee
Virgin IslandsVirginiaWashington
West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming