Letter of Authorization
Note: When utilizing the services of an outside service or party other than yourself to pickup a passport on your behalf they must have a letter of authorization. This page will take you through all you need to know.
If you’ve got a big international trip coming up and suddenly realize that your passport or other important travel documents are not in order, don’t worry – you have a number of options available to you. You can always expedite your passport application with a courier or related service, for example, which will have your document in your hand in as little as 24 to 48 hours depending on the area of the country where you live.
If you choose to go this route, however, there are a number of important things in mind. For starters, you will also have to submit a letter of authorization in order to allow your expedited passport processing service to successfully pick up your passports when ready.
Submitting a Letter of Authorization
Complete the following steps in order to submit your letter of authorization along with your expedited passport application:
- Use may use your Web browser to print two separate copies of the Passport Processing Authorization Letter from the official website. You will need to fully complete both copies. When filling out the letter, you will need to check off all of the required boxes that are relevant to your travel plans and also provide the name of the courier company that you plan on using at the bottom of the letter.
- Or, You may use the sample provided below.
- When filling out the letter of authorization, always do so by hand using blue or black ink. Do not leave any of the fields blank or it could potentially delay the processing of your application. When you’re finished filling out the documents, be sure to sign your name at the bottom.
- Always make sure that your signature appears the same on all of the documents that you’re submitting. If you sign your name differently on each copy, it could potentially delay the processing of your application.
- Make sure that you check only the first two boxes on your letter of authorization. The intention of the letter of authorization is to allow your courier service to discuss your passport application with the Department of State. If you check off all three boxes on the form, it could delay your application.
Once you’ve finished filling out the form, make sure that you place it safely and securely inside the envelope that you plan on giving to the representative from your courier service. The representative will take the letter of authorization, along with all of the other documents contained inside the envelope, and submit them to the Department of State on your behalf.
One copy of the letter of authorization goes inside the envelope while the other will go on the outside of the envelope. This makes sure that the acceptance agent has quick access to the letter so that they may begin looking through the documents inside your envelope and get started on processing your application right away.
So long as you properly fill out the letter of authorization, submit the appropriate forms and fees and take care of other considerations, you can have your passport in hand in as little as one to two business days.
If you decide to write a letter yourself please keep in mind the following:
- The letter must state the name and/or Company name of the authorized party.
- State that the authorized party may pick up the passport on the applicant’s behalf.
- State the name on the passport.
- State the passport number.
- The authorized parties photo ID should be attached.
- The authorized parties signatures must be attested to.
- The letter must be dated.
- If more than one passport is being picked up (for example a parent and children) than information must be complete for each individual.
Sample Letter of Authorization
To: The US Department of State, Passport Services
To Whom it May Concern,
This letter serves to authorize the bearer, Mr/Ms___________________________________ to pick up my/our passports (Optional if for family and the passports of my family) (as indicated below) from Visa/Passport Collection Center on our/my behalf.
(Note: please duplicate this section for each person whose passport is being picked up. )
Name on Passport
(Your Name) (Printed or typed)
Your Cell Phone Number:
Authorized Person’s Information
The Authorized Person’s Name:
(Name-printed or typed)
Note: By signing this authorization letter, I (your name) absolve (name of the issuing entity) of any responsibilities once the passports have been delivered and are in the possession of the person authorized to act on my/our behalf.
Your Signature and the signatures of all parties whose passport is being picked up.
Please attach to this form a copy of your National ID and a copy of the birth certificate of any children listed. 2. All applicants over 18 must sign this form and attach a copy of their National ID.
Signed: ______________ Signed: ______________ Signed:_________________