Passport & Child Support Issues FAQ

The following text outlines child support and how it relates to the United States passport application process. To find out additional information about other passport-related topics, please consult either the FAQ section or the “Search” bar at the top of the screen.

The United States takes child support very seriously, especially when travel is concerned. If it has been legally proven that you owe more than $2500 in child support to a former spouse, you will be unable to apply for and receive a United States passport until the situation has been properly remedied.

In order to rectify the situation, you should contact the agency in your state where you owe child support and arrange payments before applying for your United States passport. Once payment arrangements have been made and your account returns to good standing, the child support enforcement agency in your state will report to the United States Department of Health and Human Services confirming that those steps have been taken.

The Department of Health and Human Services will then remove your name from a list of accounts with outstanding payments and provide the Department of State with that updated list. Passport Services will then verify that your name has been removed from the aforementioned list. Only after that point will you be able to submit your United States passport application (with all required documents and forms of identification). Passport Services will then process your application after all other steps have been taken and you can receive your passport like normal. Below are questions and answers from a user who has a child support question related to passport.