How to Get a Overseas Birth Certificate for U.S. Citizens?

CIEE Study Abroad Program

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), or certificate of birth abroad, is a legal document that establishes the United States citizenship of a child who was born in a country other than the US. Still, at least one parent is a US citizen. It is a birth record or certificate necessary for obtaining a passport, travel, and other activities.

This is needed if you were born overseas. You will need the get a consular report of birth abroad.

In many countries, when a child is born, he or she has a birthright by soil, or “jus soli,” meaning that they are automatically a citizen of that country. They may not, however, automatically have US citizenship, or it may not be clear, even if one of the parents is a citizen. The CRBA makes it official.

Therefore, if you want to get a U.S. Passport, it’s critical you can prove citizenship.

States do not issue a CRBA; the Federal Government issues it. Once obtained, it can be used for proof of US citizenship, application for a passport, and other legal purposes. The process is rather lengthy and can be quite complex, so many people opt to request their certificate of birth abroad.

Related Read: Replacing a Missing Birth Certificate

Required for a Certificate of Birth Abroad

If you are a US citizen and give birth to a child in another country, you must report that birth to your closest American consular office as soon as possible. This can be done for a child who is less than 18 years old, but the sooner you can do it, the better. You can contact your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance and the required forms.

This documentation will also help with future travel plans and later proof of citizenship the child may need.

These documents must be submitted along with the request for a consular report of birth abroad:

  • Record of the child’s birth abroad
  • Parents’ proof of US citizenship (one or both as applicable). Accepted forms of proof include a US passport or US birth certificate.
  • Parent’s marriage certificate if they are married
  • Proof of US residence for one or both parents.
  • Service fee.
  • Other documents, such as a paternity affidavit or a divorce decree from a previous marriage, may be required depending on the circumstances. It is important to find out exactly what is needed by calling the consular office.

Once the registration is approved, the FS-240 is issued.

If you need a duplicate Certificate of Birth Abroad, apply online today. The Certificate of Birth Abroad is required for passport applicants born outside the U.S. and there is no way around this required step. Don’t let the missing proof of citizenship cause your passport application to be rejected.

Get all your required documents together as soon as possible and apply for your passport today. Routine passports can take 4-6 weeks with no issues, so if you need your passport sooner, consider using an expedited passport processing option.

Related Read: A Child Born Abroad


The Certificate of Birth Abroad is crucial for all passport applications, but the process can be confusing and time-consuming. It’s essential to ensure you follow all the necessary steps and have all documents available before submitting your application.

If you need help navigating the requirements or want additional assistance in obtaining a copy of your FS-240, contact the US Passport Help Guide for more information. With our help, you can ensure a smooth and successful passport application process. Don’t risk having your passport application rejected; start your application today!

Good luck and safe travels!


REAL ID & Driver’s Information

NevadaNew HampshireNew Jersey
New MexicoNew YorkNorth Carolina
North DakotaOhioOklahoma
OregonPennsylvaniaRhode Island
South CarolinaSouth DakotaTennessee
Virgin IslandsVirginiaWashington
West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming